Monday, February 4, 2013

Back to College

No, I didn't "not finish" my first degree. I actually graduated two years ago from my local university with a degree in English Literature. For a while, I worked in publishing, starting as an intern with local publishing houses and moving on until I became the Editorial Lead of Novel Publicity. For a while, the jobs were great, and I really enjoyed what I did. Then came the nagging sensation, the tugging of something on the edge of my mind; I knew I wasn't making enough money to live on my own, but I tried it anyway, and that was when the nagging became yelling. Over the few months of living on my own, I learned first-hand that there was no possible way I could continue to be an editor for Novel Publicity AND make rent each month.

For the last few years, I've been considering going back to school for another degree, and a few months ago (let's say six), I met an amazing young man who changed my life. My boyfriend talked with me and listened when I told him about my concerns, my dreams, and my goals. He and I worked on his STI together near the beginning of our relationship, and that sealed things between us. I've never met someone quite like him; a man who does not judge me, but will listen while I talk, and then give me feedback and support his arguments or his agreements without treating me like I'm stupid.

While we worked on the car was when we grew closest quickest. He noticed that I was not happy with my income, and though I enjoyed what I did, he urged me to seek other opportunities. Then, he pointed out how much I had enjoyed working on the STI with him. Next came a few months of us periodically discussing my potential degrees and whether or not returning to school was for me. The degrees we narrowed my potential education to were Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't sure EE was for me--some days, I'm still not (though I'm only 3 weeks in, so that could still be true). But he and I have a common goal, something that makes me fight every day to make sure I do whatever I have to in order to succeed, and that's having kids. Yes, this point is very far off, but it's something I've always wanted, and I want my kids to have a similar lifestyle to mine growing up.

Next, I examined my childhood and noted right away one thing--both of my parents are engineers. My father is a software engineer and my mother is an optical engineer. Both my sister and I grew up VERY comfortably. Coincidence? I think not. Ergo, the brilliant choice of going back for an EE degree. Great choice, right? And it doesn't stop there.

From the moment I decided to go back, friends and family alike told me they didn't think EE was for me. Now, I'm like a lot of other strong-willed people, and when someone tells me I can't do something or won't enjoy it, their words just make me more determined to succeed. When people show doubt in me is when I shine brightest, and so far, I've done okay. To be honest, I cried the first night I came back, because I have not done math or physics in almost seven years, and had no idea what the professors had talked about in lecture. I'd done nothing but English and literary theory since my second semester of college, but knowing I had a dream, that I have my boyfriend's support, and where I want to go and what I want to do keeps me driven to do my best.

To be honest, I still want to be a full-time writer, and I always will, however, one of my favorite Indie authors, Jessica McHugh,has shown me (without actually showing me, it must be said) that I can go back to school for something I may not love whole-heartedly and write on the side. Thus, my new lifestyle. I still write, though I study as much as I can; after all, college is not cheap, and I need to get a job in order to pay off loans, etc.

And so my adventure begins... I plan to update this story every week or so, and between will try to do weekly updates of my novel, as that's what this blog was originally created for. As of now, though, I have exams in two weeks and must go study! And remember, if you have a dream, there's more than one way to accomplish it...and more than one person who will support you, even when others don't believe you can make it ;)

1 comment: