Wednesday, February 6, 2013

School is Drowning me in Papers!

I've been trying to split my time between writing new scenes for "Soulbound" and studying for my exams next week. To be honest, I find my attention rapidly diminishing, no matter what I try to do. I think it's the intensive studying (outside of school [so on a normal schedule], I try to read a few hours every day, write, draw, and work the rest of the time); Monday night, I studied for 9 hours, which I think was overkill. I didn't study last night (except doing homework), and tonight, I am really struggling to stay focused. If I didn't have ear drums, I think my brain would drool out of my ears. Lovely image, I know.

I digress...

In time, I will study and finish my physics, as it's still fairly early here (20 until 7). I also have an hour after work to study tomorrow, then tomorrow night, I have only a little bit of homework, as I have tried to stay ahead of all of my classes. Just because I'm only taking three doesn't mean that the work load is any lighter...admittedly, I sure am glad I dropped my fourth class. I haven't done this much homework and studying since freshman year for my first degree, which was four years ago. Overall, I enjoy the challenge that physics and calculus have presented to me (keep in mind that I'm a very literary-minded individual, as are many writers and readers [and others]), and that doesn't make it any easier.

As far as "Soulbound" goes, I'm supposed to be editing and had hoped I would be done by the end of this month [February], but I've fallen very far behind in the editing due to studying and homework, which is a constant in my life. I'd like to find some way to make more hours in a day, as would many people, I'm sure, but there just aren't enough. So, I ask here, does anyone have good advice for how to split time, stay up late, wake up fairly early, and still maintain (or even increase) productivity? What did you do in college? As a writer (or whatever you are)? Right now I am focused on drinking Red Bull (the sugar free one) every morning, but that is an expensive habit, and as some may know, we writers are often short on cash. Yes, I have coffee, but it makes me have to, well, use the bathroom more than Red Bull does, so it's hard to chug coffee, then sit through lecture. I don't like being late and I hate leaving in the middle of class for any reason (it often distracts the professor and other students). So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering using Dragon Naturally Speaking (of which I have a copy) to transcribe my hand-written scribbles from during the day to my computer at night, then going over it to change names and correct spellings, etc. I feel it might save me some time, and maybe I could multi-task.

The children's series, as well as the other manuscripts of mine, have been put on temporary hold...and I say "temporary" only because I know for a fact that they will get done--just in a matter of time vs. homework! I may be bad and give up Friday night as far as sleeping in order to do a mass-edit and mass-transcribing. Unfortunately (or VERY fortunately), my boyfriend comes back into town that night after being away for two weeks, and he leaves again Monday (or Sunday night), so is unlikely to want to share me with the computer much. Hmmm... Sounds like a physics--I mean, TIME problem! I swear, if humans could figure out how to make time stretch (other than by being bored), we'd be unstoppable!

And I leave you on that note. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment