Sunday, January 26, 2014

Disney Fanart & Names

Okay, can I just gush about this lovely, lovely artwork? If you haven't seen these amazing drawings of Disney princesses in accurate period dress, then you're missing out. Whether or not you're a fan of Disney, these images are gorgeous. There' something to be said about a mono-color background with the focus entirely on the subject of the picture.

I have to say that my favorite...well, how could I choose? I'm a Belle fan by nature. I grew up loving the fact that she read, wasn't afraid of adventure, and could see past the fearful nature of the man who captured her. Yes, there are arguments of how she fell for an abusive man and how this movie reinforces that you can "change" someone who's abusive, but that's not what this blog is about. I agree that Disney films have flaws, but so do all films. I'd love to hear of a perfect movie, especially a cartoon geared toward children. ;)

I have to say the image that captures me the most out of all of these is the one of Meg. Something about her pose, her face, her arm wrapped so casually around a Grecian helm... It just gives me shivers. Maybe it's because my boyfriend and I have already picked out a name for a little girl (if we have one), and it's Greek in nature. Now, my boyfriend jokes around a lot and tosses out weird names that he knows I won't like whenever we get into a discussion about naming our future kids (can anyone say, "Ariel"? It's a pretty name, but it definitely makes me think of Disney...and that's not what I want...weird, huh, since this blog is about amazing Disney-based pictures?).

The name he tossed at me (again, for a girl) that actually has me obsessed is "Ares". Right? Ares, the god of war in Grecian mythology! And I LOVE that name for a little girl. In fact, I love it enough that I told his mother we had decided on a name. She wrinkled her nose at it, but that's fine. I figure we can give our daughter a more feminine middle name once we have her. We're still torn on boy names. I love Marik, but my beau is not sold on that one so much. Oh well! We'll think of something.

Anyway, now you know why the Meg picture resonated with me so strongly today. I think all of the images are lovely (the Jasmine one took my breath away the first time I saw it). I guess this blog is my way of shouting out a grand, "THANK YOU!" to fantastic artists who make my world go round. Can't deny that gorgeous art inspires writing!

Until next time, write on!

2 comments:

  1. Maid Marian was still my favorite ;)

    As for kids names... Marik sounds too negative. Keep in mind that the kid will have to live with this name his/her whole life :)

    On a side note, I did know a girl named Ariel in grade school. Her best friend was a boy named Sebastian, no joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I saw Maid Marion... That was pretty cute.

      Yeah, I think that's one reason why he doesn't like Marik as a name, though he does like Marcus, which is pretty similar.

      Really? That's awesome! My sister had a friend named Ariel. She was a nice girl, but every time I heard her name, I associated her with the Little Mermaid.

      I think we're both pretty sold on Ares, which is odd, since I'm fairly sure he was joking about it initially.

      Delete