Sunday, May 15, 2016

The Writer Within: Setting Your Goals

Hi, all, and happy Sunday! Sorry I didn't post yesterday. Things are always hectic for me on Satruday, and for this weekend, yesterday was no exception--it was actually busier than usual!

Today, I'm taking a break from the Developing the Amüli post to discuss how I set my goals and how I stick to them. This isn't just an important topic in writing as a career; it's a vital one. Too often I hear writers talk about how they can't reach their goals each day, which is understandable--well, to an extent. It's very important to set achievable goals for each day if you're going to write professionally, and then to adhere to those goals as strongly as possible. If you find that you aren't reaching your goals four or five times a week, that means something needs to change.

Now, life happens. Everyone has a day here or there where they simply can't meet their goals, either from being ill, family matters or any multitude of things that come to pass. This is part of living, and of course, take care of yourself first. ;)

I mentioned a while back that I write in cycles. I'll work on a project (or as is the current case, multiple projects), finish the largest of the bunch, and then stop writing for anywhere from a few days to a week. This is how I work, and this is the cycle I design my goals around. In an average day, I write between 8,000-10,000 words. Sometimes more. I always, always hold myself to my 8,000 word minimum, though. Why? Because I know that's a goal I can reach each and every day (other than my designated burn out days). I stick to it by allotting a certain word count to each project every morning. Yes, I do this each morning. I wake up and examine my project, figure out which ones need the most attention to reach my upcoming deadlines, and then I focus on that project first and the others last.

Probably the best thing I ever did was, ahm, borrow my husband's white board. Well, permanently borrow it. Okay, so I stole it. Whatever. The point is, I have a platform on which to write out my weekly schedule, and then a way to check things off of my list every day. I love wiping off a title or a goal. Best. Feeling. Ever. I think that's one of the reasons I adhere so well to my writing schedule--I have a tangible sense of accomplishment when I wipe away one of the titles I worked on that day.

The next thing I want to stress is don't compare yourself to me. I simply can't say this enough. I'm lucky enough to be a full-time writer. This is what I do, 9-12 hours a day, sometimes more. And I treat it like a job every day. I wake up, make my coffee or tea, and go to work. I allow myself an hour lunch (sometimes less), and I write the rest of the time. Structure to me is so, so important. Without it, I wouldn't get any writing done. But this is what I want you to take away from this: you're not me. You're you. You write differently than I do. At a different pace, with a different cycle, and probably for different reasons.

Keep this in mind when you set your writing goals and when you work to achieve them. How fast do you typically write? 500 words an hour? Great! That's awesome! So, set your goal a little lower. Aim for 400 words in an hour. Next, how much time a day do you actually have for writing? Two hours after dinner? Okay, plan around one hour or an hour and a half. This way, if you do have more writing time, you'll exceed your goal, but if you don't or if something comes up (family, pets, friends, spouses, and so on), you can manage your time around those other important things in life.

Next, look at your target completion date. Ask yourself if it's realistic. This is honestly something I still struggle with. I often assume I can reach goals faster than I actually can; even though I write quickly and edit well, I need to learn to leave myself more time so that the editing stage can be done four, five, or even six times. Even though I have a solid writing schedule, I'm still learning about how I function with other aspects of being a writer. This takes time, so don't be discouraged. :)

How do you make your goals? Are you able to achieve them most of the time? Why do you think that is? Share in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I set myself annual goals and revisit them quarterly. Posting them on my blog helps with accountability.

    I'm always overly optimistic in my goals, and I almost never meet them (fulltime job, fulltime grad school, kid, AND write a couple novels a year? Piece of cake, right??). However, since I set them so high, I don't feel that bad when I only meet half of them.

    That said, I'm now working just part-time during my PhD program, so I have a lot of free time. Starting in June, I'll have daily goals (write for a couple hours, research my dissertation for a couple hours, etc) so that I can make sure to accomplish my academic as well as writing goals and not waste all my time playing on the internet all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great system! I never thought of doing quarterly goals. Maybe I'll give that a shot, so that I can see how much I accomplish each quarter instead of just each day.

      And yeah, it sounds like you have a ton on your plate! It sounds like you have a pretty good balance going, though, which is fantastic. :) And even though you're going part-time, I hope you'll take some time to breathe now and again!! Thank you so much for sharing!

      Delete